You are what you is.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Universal Healing Retreat

...So I don't normally do the whole "testimonial" thing, but on my last trip to Belize I wound up spending a week at Universal Health Retreat in Cayo and feel motivated to write something about the experience. It was late December, 2012, and literally and figuratively I'd bitten off more than I should.  

Stressed out from having taken on too much work in too short a time, I was also in the midst of a hideously painful gout attack caused by a combination of bad genetics and unwise dietary choices. I can think of few experiences worse than having a massive gout attack while on the road. 

A week of salad and water did not help, nor did an extended break from work.  Two new friends made on Ambergris Caye told me of a place called Universal Healing Retreat in Cayo, run by a couple called Yosiah and Linda.  As I was heading west anyway to cover (however impractically, being barely ambulatory) the end of Bak'tun festivities at Caracol, I decided to make my way to their retreat.

Yosiah and Linda were incredibly accommodating. Though we practiced yoga together in the morning, they  pretty much left me alone to write inside the beautifully furnished and fully screened-in duplex cabin I dubbed "the writer's cottage.  Meals were amazing, three glorious farm-grown, gluten free, vegetarian feasts daily,  interspersed with a variety of medicinal herbal teas that to facilitate healing. My days were productive and serene, my nights magnificently quiet and restorative 

Over the course of a week, I managed to simultaneously finish a good chunk of my project and purify my system to the point where I was able to walk without pain.  

Though I came to Universal Health Retreat limping and stressed, I walked away straight and filled with slack.  Thank you, Linda and Yosiah!



3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the kind words my friend. We are glad you enjoyed it. We must also confess your character and presence was a real treat and welcomed difference from our normal guests and students.

    Your experience as a world traveler has no doubt taken a toll on you but it has also blessed you with a seasoned philosophers spirit and wisdom!

    The time we spent and our on going friendship will be greatly treasured.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words my friend. We are glad you enjoyed it. We must also confess your character and presence was a real treat and welcomed difference from our normal guests and students.

    Your experience as a world traveler has no doubt taken a toll on you but it has also blessed you with a seasoned philosophers spirit and wisdom!

    The time we spent and our on going friendship will be greatly treasured.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the kind words my friend. We are glad you enjoyed it. We must also confess your character and presence was a real treat and welcomed difference from our normal guests and students.

    Your experience as a world traveler has no doubt taken a toll on you but it has also blessed you with a seasoned philosophers spirit and wisdom!

    The time we spent and our on going friendship will be greatly treasured.

    ReplyDelete

Share it